Best Bike Computer Reviews
Best Bike Computer & Cycling GPS buying guide
If you’re passionate about biking or even enjoy it as a hobby from time to time a worthwhile piece of equipment to own is a cycling GPS unit. This unit can quickly and easily help you plan your route, help you if you get lost, and direct you to nearby services. The hard part isn’t deciding to buy one it’s deciding which model is ideal for you.
Let’s take a look at some common features you’ll find on a cycling GPS unit so you can start to narrow down your wants/needs list.
Why Buy a Cycling GPS Unit?
First off it’s important to look at the reasons you may want to purchase a cycling GPS unit:
- to plan your route and keep track of it
- track your personal stats so you can compare them
- monitor your heart rate
- count calories
- learn about what’s near and around your cycling route
Wading Through the Features
There is a large variety of models available offering a wide price range. Here are some common features you may find and want to consider.
- How easy is the unit to use? While bells and whistles are great too many of them can get overwhelming and you’ll end up focused on how to work the unit rather than enjoy your cycle.
- What is the battery life like? Obviously you want a unit that will hold a charge for your cycle so you’ll want to check the stats on the different models.
- Is the unit in black and white or does it offer color? For many people this doesn’t matter, but if it does be prepared to spend a little more on the color models.
- Do you need the unit to be water-resistant? Will you be cycling in wet conditions, if so a water-resistant model will be well worth the higher price tag.
- How does the unit attach to your bike? Different models attach in different locations on your bike so what would be the most convenient location for you that makes it easy to access and view while cycling.
- How often are the maps updated are they updated at all? Are these updates free or do you need to pay for them if you want them?
- Do you need more specific navigation tools such as descent data, the calories you’ve burned, climbing data, and your cadence. These aren’t common on base models so it will increase the cost.
- What is your budget? These units are all over the place when it comes to pricing so have a clear budget set before you head out to the store will help ensure you don’t over-spend. Keep in mind the more features you are looking for, the higher the price tag will be.
Purchasing a cycling GPS unit can really add a lot to your cycle and provide you with all kinds of details. These details can help you reach a personal health/fitness goal and help you plan and track your route along the way. Check out the list below to find the best bike computer & cycling GPS that fit your need.